* 2 tablespoons butter
* 3 ounces mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
* 1 shallot, finely chopped
* 1 teaspoon lemon juice
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 2/3 cup vegetable stock
* 1/3 cup heavy cream
* 1 tablespoon chopped, fresh tarragon (1 teaspoon dried tarragon)
* 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 1/2 pounds green asparagus, trimmed
In a medium size saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and sauté the mushrooms for 5 minutes. Add the shallot and lemon juice to the pan and cook the mixture for an additional 3 minutes.
Stir the flour into the mushrooms until completely incorporated, and then add the vegetable stock, stirring until the sauce becomes smooth and thicken slightly. Stir in the heavy cream, tarragon, and nutmeg, and then heat through. (Do not allow the sauce to simmer) Once the sauce is heated, remove it from the heat and cover with a lid to keep warm.
Bring a large shallow pan of water to a boil and salt it. Gently place the asparagus into the water, reduce heat, and cover with a lid. Cook the asparagus for 5-7 minutes, until it’s tender. Drain and serve immediately with the hot tarragon cream sauce.
Makes 4 servings.