1 tsp vegetable oil
1/4 cups flour
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 lb chicken breast, skinless, boneless, cut into 1-inch strips
1 cup (1/2 lb) white potatoes, cubed
1 cup onions, chopped
1 cup (1/2) carrots, coarsely chopped
1/2 medium carrot, grated
1/4 cup celery, chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 stalks scallion, chopped
1 whole bay leaf
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp black pepper, ground
2 tsp hot (or jalapeño) pepper
1 cup (1/2 lb) okra, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
1. Add oil to large pot and heat over medium flame.
2. Stir in flour. Cook, stirring constantly, until flour begins to turn golden brown.
3. Slowly stir in all broth using wire whisk. Cook for 2 minutes. Broth mixture should not be lumpy.
4. Add rest of ingredients except okra. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 20-30 minutes.
5. Add okra and let cook for 15-20 more minutes.
6. Remove bay leaf and serve hot in bowl or over rice.